So this working three days a week, Honours project, blog and trying to spend at least a few minutes a day with my family is proving to be a bit of a challenge. This is of course why my updates are not terribly frequent.
In a feeble attempt to keep my blog up to date, here is a brief update on what I have been up to and what I have learned:
- After speaking with Tom (my supervisor) about my research objective, he brought me back down to earth from my lofty aspirations of solving all the wind industry's problems in a single 16,000 word document. Seems that I have over estimated what I may be able to achieve in the 39 weeks until my thesis is due.
- There are a number of different models which can be used for wind farm power forecasting but no gold standard solution. What is available tends to be either very crude or very intensive and expensive
- Running climate modelling software on supercomputers takes a lot of time and effort to design a model and run it.
With this in mind, I am either going to run some models using a more simple climate model than I had previously planned (I was going to use something called WRF but now I might use a CSIRO developed application called TAPM) or I might borrow some of the WRF model data that a couple of the very smart PhD students in my lab have produced and use this to analyse how accurately WRF can predict the wind speed. Maybe I'll do both.
Just so you know, apparently this is normal. Research students usually spend the first few weeks (months!) of their project basically running around trying to figure out what the hell is going on. I did think (hope) I would be different but if this blog shows anything at all it paints a picture of me not really having a clue about what I am doing, yet.
One day soon, I'll start making significant progress and giving you meaningful updates PLUS I'll start including pictures in my posts to make them more interesting - promise.